Water Melon Rinds curry


This is my another addition in using vegetable and fruit peels. It is a very common practice in Rajasthan to cook watermelon rinds. It is served with bajra roti  and lots of ghee during winter. The rinds can also be dried and stored for upto an year.




for this you need:
2 cups water melon rinds diced
2 tbsp oil
a pinch asfoetida (hing)
1 1/2 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp corriander seeds powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder(haldi)
1/2 tsp onion seeds/ kalounji
1 tsp sugar (optional)
1/2 tsp dry mango powder(amchur)
salt to taste





Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add hing.
Add kalaunji, turmeric powder, red chili powder, corriander seeds powder along with the rinds. Saute for one minute.
Add 1tbsp of water and salt. You do not have to add more water to cook as the rinds will release their own juices when cooked.
Pressure cook for one whistle.
Remove the lid after the pressure is released from the cooker and switch on the gas again.
Add amchur and if you want to add sugar add it at this stage, adding sugar is your own choice , some like it sweet but I prefer without sugar.
Bring it to a boil and its done.

1 comment:

  1. I had been throwing out the watermelon rinds all these years, as I didn't realize they had any use. This year I thought I should try using them. Stumbled across your recipe. It is really good. Other recipes are more complicated with more ingredients, but your recipe is simple and absolutely delicious. Really good, authentic, home cooking! I reduced the red chili to 1/2 tsp and did not add sugar. I added a little more water. Thank you for sharing! - S

    ReplyDelete

Your views are valuable to me. To share your view, experience or any suggestion related to this please leave a comment here.