Bharwan Baingan - Stuffed Brinjals




Being a Jain I am not used to cook brinjal as its prohibited in the religion. And since my childhood I haven't seen brinjals being brought and cooked in our kitchens. I don't know why..
But I cook sometimes...lol... two or three recipes that I learnt from here and there. This one with a spicy stuffing is one of them.

\
5 small brinjals
3 tbsp oil

for the stuffing:
1 inch piece of ginger
2 inch piece of coconut
1 green chili
6 cloves garlic
1 onion diced
1 tomato diced
few corriander leaves
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powdr
2 tsp corriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
1/2 tsp dry mango powder
salt

Grind all the ingredients for the stuffing into a thick paste. Use very little water if required while grinding.
Slit the brinjals (make a deep criss cross) and stuff the stuffing tightly inthe slits.
Heat oil in a pan and slowly arrange the stuffed brinjals into it.
Add the leftover stuffing into it and sprinkle a little water. Cover and cook for 5 min. 
Now flip the brinjals bottom side up, Sprinkle some more water. 
Cover and cook again for another few min until the brinjals are properly cooked . 

Serve with chapatis or any rice dish.

1 comment:

Your views are valuable to me. To share your view, experience or any suggestion related to this please leave a comment here.