Healthy Lettuce Soup

What do you do with a few days old lettuce leaves?
I kept wondering for some time, what to do with the bunch lying unnoticed in the cornor of my vegetable basket in the fridge. Soggy not good enough to be used in salads.
It is rainy day here in Yerevan, the temperature again dropped below ten degrees leaving me craving for some warm soup. I was reminded of a cookbook, my first gift from my DH when I started my experiments in cooking i.e. 'The delights of vegetarian cooking' by Tarla dalal. I quickly turned its pages to find lettuce soup recipe which somehow crept out my mind recently. A perfect warm creamy soup for a rainy day accompanied with grilled vegetables. Yummy. far better & healthier option than the usual pakoras which we are used to make in the rainy season in India.



2 bundles Lettuce , shredded
1 onion finely chopped
1 cup milk +1 cup water
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp plain flour
salt & pepper to taste





  1. Heat butter & saute onions until translucent.
  2. Add the lettuce & saute for another 2 min.
  3. Mix the milk, water & plain flour & add to the lettuce. Bring to a boil stirring.
  4. Simmer for another 10 min.
  5. Grind the soup with a hand blender or in a mixer & strain.
  6. Add salt & pepper & serve hot.

Adapted from : TarlaDalal's recipe for cream of Lettuce soup.


My entry for
'Comfort Food For Illness' Event hosted by Recipe Center

1 comment:

Your views are valuable to me. To share your view, experience or any suggestion related to this please leave a comment here.