Sattu

Sawan Ka Mahina.. Its the month of Sawan, according to Indian calender. Its the most popular month in bollywood movies, symbolizing rainy season. many hindi songs are written specially for this month .

'Raksha Bandhan' festival for brothers & sisters falls on the last day of this month. For the last two years I was lucky to make it to India for this festival but this time doesn't seem so. Anyways this is for you dear brothers.


>Sattu is a sweet specially made in sawan. In rajasthan Sawan & Sattu go together. Its customary for parents to gift sattu to their married daughter or her in -laws during the month of sawan.
The authentic recipe demands a little effort & patience in roasting the dal. I have another easy version as well where in you can prepare it instantly in no time. Though the tastes may slightly differ from each other yet are equally tasty.
The authentic Recipe:
This recipe I learnt from my mother-in-law who is a perfectionist in this recipe. To make sattu she prefers hand mill to grind the dal over a mixie. she says this way its ground to the desired texture evenly. Though I being a little lazy prefer the easy options. But the end results definately vary when you use the mill.

1/2 kg gram dal
1/2 kg powdered sugar
400gm ghee or more
silver varq(foil) to decorate

Roast gram dal in a heavy bottomed pan a little at a time over a slow flame stirring continuously. I say a little at a time because we need to roast evenly. Stirring over a low flame makes the dal cook evenly even from inside. So be patient don't rush to roast & slowly roast to a light brown color. Cool & coarsely grind the dal such that its powdery yet you can feel it grainy just like in a scrub. (I hope, I was able to explain it for you to understand with my choice of words.....). Mix in powder sugar, powdered dal & warm ghee. Make flat disks out of it pressing in between your palms. If difficult to form sattu you can add a little more ghee. Decorate with silver foil.

Easy Version:
In southern India roasted gram dal is available, popularly called as putana in karnataka.
1 cup putana (roasted gram dal)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp cooking gum, optional (it gives a crunchy flavour to sattu)
3/4 cup ghee or more
silver foil to decorate

Roast the putana slightly for few minutes or until warm in a pan over a slow flame, this is just to remove moisture if any. Cool and powder the dal. Mix in sugar. Heat ghee & add cooking gum to it. Switch off gas once the gum starts popping up . Add this to the flour & sugar mixture & make flat disks out of it pressing between your palms. Decorate with Silver foil.

Watch Video : sattu

6 comments:

  1. hey great blog really enjoyed browsing! I recently started my own if you would like to check it out at www.veghunter.wordpress.com
    keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that you’re interested and fascinated in food stuffs. This is awesome Sattu recipe. You see, we have this food site Foodista.com (http://www.foodista.com) that is a food and cooking encyclopedia that everyone and anyone can edit. Maybe you are interested in sharing some of recipes to us or share your knowledge about food stuffs and techniques, or maybe you just like to write reviews about food, restaurant and recipes...why don't you visit us sometimes, if its food you're interested in, then we are interested in you. Don't hesitate to check us out. And by the way, If you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post. Just add the Foodista Widget
    to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    I hope to see you there.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a real need of this now, but can't find it anywhere in New Jersey, no so competent that I can make it myself.
    But I have had it many times from my Mom and Grandma and there is nothing comparable to it... its just pure awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried your recipe to impress my in-laws and i can't thank you enough because they really appreciated and enjoyed your recipe. Great post specially for moms like me who wants to impress their in-laws. Two thumbs up! For more great and easy to do recipes, you can visit www.gourmandia.net. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely ... very simple it is... I am making. Thanks for sharying the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my husband has a sweet teeth...always want this o r that sweet...and pressure me to cook at home. thanks for sharing the easy way to cook it...i need it so desperately....

    ReplyDelete

Your views are valuable to me. To share your view, experience or any suggestion related to this please leave a comment here.