Poori

Poori is a fried Indian bread which is consumed all over India . It is popularily paired with chola(chick pea curry) & Alu ki sabji(potato cury) but it tastes good with any curry or pickle. Whenever I throw a party I prefer pooris or naan over chapati. Its because I can serve speedily hot-hot pooris for a big group. I am quite slow when it comes to rolling thin chapatis, it takes hours for me to make in large quantities. Poori though its fried its the perfect Indian bread for any gathering. Don't worry if you end up making more as it stays good for 3 to 4 days unrefridgirated. My husband doesn't know to cook & since we are pure vegetarians food is always a problem while travelling. And whenever he has to travel I pack around 50 pooris for him with mango or chilli pickles . Once I even tried refridgirating them for more than 20 days for my hubby when he was alone & we went for holidays to India. Beleive me they were good until I came back. Just make sure you cool them before storing. Tear the poori apart to find out whether its good or bad. If you see sticky threads while tearing it means its time to throw.

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
oil to deep fry

Mix all the ingredients & knead into a tight dough using water. Here we have added sugar, as the carbon di oxide released while frying the pooris will make them puff up.
Allow the dough to rest for 10 min. Roll out small rounds using a little oil, make sure its not be rolled very thin.
Fry one by one in hot oil, lightly pressing with perforated spoon to make it puff.
For the pooris to puff up properly the dough should be tight, there should be enough oil for the poori to dip & the temperature should be sufficiently hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your views are valuable to me. To share your view, experience or any suggestion related to this please leave a comment here.